Wednesday, January 11, 2012

not a lemon



I was making squares the other day for one of our family gatherings, and honestly, I was perplexed with what to make.  You see, there are not a lot of "sweet tooth" types, so (gasp!), I had to cut back on the chocolate stuff.

Going through one of my cookbooks, I came upon a lemon square.  Not sure if there are lemon types in the crowd either, however, my son was going through the book with me, and suggested that I "should replace the lemon with mango or pineapple...it would be sooo awesome Mom!".  It was one of those "a-ha" moments.





I have to say, my kids have great taste...especially my son, who loves to indulge in the exotic.  He's the type of kid who'd rather eat sushi than hamburger and fries.   (How many kids do you know that, when going out to a restaurant, orders lobster with tiger striped ravioli off the adult menu instead of chicken fingers on the kids menu?!?). Anything that reminds him of tropical weather is usually a good bet. 


So, I indulged his unique taste palate, and made these lemon squares with pineapple instead (we didn't have mango in the house at the time).  I was a little worried as I wasn't sure if they'd turn out, and I'd have a "lemon" on my hands (pun intended).  Well...they turned out amazing!  

Pineapple Squares
(adapted from the lemon square recipe in the book, 

Bottom Layer
  • 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar

Second Layer
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 cup medium unsweetened coconut
  • 3 tbsp. pineapple juice
  • 2 tbsp. all purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. salt

Pineapple Icing
  • 1 1/2 cups icing sugar
  • 2 tbsp. butter
  • 4 tsp. pineapple juice

Preparation
Preheat oven to 350degrees

Bottom layer: 
  • Mix all 3 ingredients  in a small bowl until crumbly.  
  • Press firmly into un-greased 9x9 inch pan.
  • Bake in the oven for 15 minutes.

Second Layer:
  • Beat the eggs with a fork in a large bowl.
  • Add the next 6 ingredients, and stir.
  • Spread evenly over the bottom layer.
  • Bake for about 30 minutes or until golden brown.
  • Let stand until cool.

Pineapple Icing:
  • Beat all 3 ingredients in a small bowl until smooth, adding more juice or sugar as necessary until a nice spreading consistency.
  • Spread evenly over second layer.

Cut into 36 squares and serve.  


2 comments:

  1. Hi, my name is Heather! Please email me when you can, I have a question about your blog!

    HeatherVonSJ[at]gmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can be reached at simplybeautifulnowblog{at}gmail{dot}com.

      Delete

What the beautiful people are saying...